Can I Relocate with My Children After Divorce?

After a divorce, it is not uncommon for everyone’s lives to drastically change. You may want to return to school, find a new job, or relocate to be closer to a greater support network. If you have children and wish to relocate with them, however, you cannot simply pack up and move. You must give your former spouse proper notice of your intent to relocate. You and your former spouse may agree to a new arrangement which involves relocation or, if your former spouse objects, the issue of relocation will need to go before the court.

Petitioning the Court for a Relocation

If you and your former spouse cannot reach an agreement on relocation and an objection is made, a judge will examine a variety of factors to determine if the move is being made in good faith and is in the best interest of the children.

Family courts may consider multiple factors in a relocation, including but not limited to:

  • The relocating parent’s remarriage
  • A new educational opportunity
  • The relocating parent’s new job opportunity or an opportunity for greater income
  • Living closer to the custodial parent’s extended family, which can provide more childcare and support
  • An overall better quality of lifeĀ 

If your request is granted, a new long distance visitation schedule will need to be implemented to allow for visitation with the non-custodial parent while accommodating the changes created by the move.

Call Our Legal Team for the Exceptional Representation You Deserve Today!

If you need to relocate with your children due to a recent and substantial change in circumstances, you need to hire an experienced family law attorney to guide you through the process and ensure you receive the results you need. At Nichols Dixon PLLC, our knowledgeable family law team has what it takes to help you navigate every step of the process, so you can relocate with your children and pursue new opportunities that will improve your lives.

Reach out to our law office today at (405) 294-1511 to schedule an initial consultation and discuss the details of your relocation case.